History
St. Luke's Community hall was built in 1877 as "The Maidenhead Institute"
to serve as a meeting place for working men from the surrounding community
and provide them with opportunities for adult education. There was also
a wish to provide an alternative social venue to the town's many public
houses!
For many years it was maintained by St. Luke’s Church. In
the early 1980's the adjacent cottages were sold for redevelopment and the
proceeds used to rebuild the hall, with new windows, roof, ceiling, kitchen,
heating system and electrical installation.
In 2003 the exact legal
ownership of the hall was finally resolved and St Luke's Church ceased to
have any responsibility for maintaining it. The Charity Commissioners agreed
to the trust being formally reconstituted to operate it as a Community Hall
under a new Management Committee. As such it continues to provide a local
venue for “meetings, lectures and classes, and other forms of recreation
and leisure time activities with the object of improving the conditions
of life for the inhabitants of the borough”.
The major change to
the hall since 2003 is the provision of proper access for persons using
wheelchairs, specifically a ramped access from the road to a new entrance
lobby, and a new lavatory with wheelchair access.
The Trustees include
representatives of the local authority (The Royal Borough of Windsor &
Maidenhead) and groups that use the hall.